This Blog is a companion to my author's Blog and my writing practice Blog. As a writer, I try to read regularly to improve my own writing and learn from other writers. While these reviews are my personal opinion, I do try to be as objective as possible. I will try to provide useful links along the way. Originally, I intended to set up with Amazon, but I don't get enough traffic for them to show any interest. That may change someday, but I'm not holding my breath. If you like my content and have the means, consider supporting the site by buying me a coffee. The button for that is in the sidebar.

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Exxoneration

 


By Richard Rohmer
5 Stars
Thriller
Adult

This is the sequel to Canadian icon Richard Rohmer's bestseller Ultimatum. I read this one almost right after reading the first one. If you are going to read one, you really need to read them both together. 

This book starts where the other left off. The United States has decided to annex Canada. The plan reminds me a little of the Nazi invasion of the Netherlands during the Second World War. The opening move is to land large numbers of American troops at all of Canada's major airports with the intention of pulling off a relatively bloodless takeover. This, of course, backfires, and outcry from the American public does the rest. The rest of the book is how the whole issue is finally resolved. I won't give away more than the opening salvo of the story.

Implausible? I'll concede that. With the current rhetoric coming from the White House, I can't help but be reminded of this story. To my American friends, reading this book will give you a taste of the depth of the understated patriotism of your neighbours to the north. We want to remain your friends, but we don't want to be Americans. No insult intended.

Does this book deserve the five stars I've given it? For me, its impact suggests yes. Those who read both books when they were first published still remember the basic story fifty years later. Only the best books stay that sharp in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment