By Richard C. Nickels
4 Stars
Religion/History
Adult
I read this book between semesters at the end of 1985 and the beginning of 1986. One of my classes in the coming semester was Church History, and this was part of my personal study leading up to that. This book covers the period from the time of the split between the Seventh Day Adventists and the Churches of God Seventh Day until recently. The current edition available as a PDF online features changes and additions that were not there when I read it. I have the newest edition downloaded to my own computer.
For me, this book was a treasure trove of information and inspiration. It allowed me to put my own experiences in the Worldwide Church of God into a historical context. I would venture to say that this book is the primary reason for me staying with most of my beliefs, along with some of the other studying on the subject that I did at that time.
The history recorded here is a little bit dry. It is heavily footnoted. A great deal of effort and care went into the research for this book. Had I not been so very interested in the subject, I'm not sure I would have ploughed all the way through it. I found it to be a challenging read. That is my only real criticism of the book: the readability. If the subject is important to you, it is a worthwhile read. It's worth downloading your own copy.
Link for anyone interested:
Please note the cover illustration is my own making based on what I remember. The fonts are probably wrong the colour is probably off. I could not find an actual cover image online.

No comments:
Post a Comment