This Blog is a companion to my author's Blog and my writing practice Blog. As a writer, I try to read regularly to improve my own writing and learn from other writers. While these reviews are my personal opinion, I do try to be as objective as possible. I will try to provide useful links along the way. Originally, I intended to set up with Amazon, but I don't get enough traffic for them to show any interest. That may change someday, but I'm not holding my breath. If you like my content and have the means, consider supporting the site by buying me a coffee. The button for that is in the sidebar.

Tuesday, 11 August 2026

The Weekend Novelist

 


By Robert J Ray
5 Stars
Non-Fiction/Writing
Adult

I'm going to start this review by clarifying exactly which edition I read and used. The cover was exactly like the one pictured, and there were no co-authors. The primary companion to this edition was Anne Tyler's The Accidental Tourist. It also makes references to The Great Gatsby, which at this point I have not read.

This book proposes a fifty-two-week program to help you write a novel while you still have to live the rest of your life. It is filled with useful exercises. I did not rigidly adhere to the program. At the same time, had I not read and used what I learned from this book, I would not have completed a single manuscript. That is the primary reason it gets five stars from me. I used this book, the inspiration of National Novel Writing Month and help from others on Writing.com to write my first novel manuscript. I found a publisher. It didn't make me rich, but I can call myself a real writer. I did not pay someone to publish my book. Getting this book is really where it started.

The program outlined in the book does work, and I continue to refer to its pages to help me continue with my writing. Just remember you don't have to hold to it like it's cast in concrete. Writing is a creative process, and everyone is different. Even when you seem to have found the perfect way to get the words flowing, there'll come a day when it isn't working.

No comments:

Post a Comment