This Blog is a companion to my author's Blog and my writing practice Blog. As a writer I try to read regular to improve my own writing and learn. You can learn a great deal about me from what I read and what I think about what I read. If you wish to purchase one of this books please use the link provided. At that point if you are looking for the book in a different format or price point you can search it there. I will still get credit. Please don't use the links Facebook piggybacks onto my posts there. I receive no compensation from them. You can also click on the Pico's Book Shop ad to access Amazon and search for any book you like.

Tuesday 20 January 2015

Wheezer and the Shy Coyote


By Kitty Sutton
5 Stars
Historical Fiction
Teen to Adult


Finally finished reading "Wheezer and the Shy Coyote". I include below a review I posted on Smashwords for this book. Her writing impressed me from day one when I discovered her work on writing.com. Since then she has found a publisher in InknBeans press and was instrumental in getting me noticed by them later. She is working on a third book. I look forward to reviewing that one when it comes out.

Kitty Sutton has done it again. Having read and enjoyed "Wheezer and the Painted Frog" I was expecting a great deal from her second book and was not disappointed. "Wheezer and the Shy Coyote" picks up where the first book left off. The survivors of the Trail of Tears and its immediate aftermath are now faced with The Whiskey Wars.  It is a dark time for Native Americans and a historical black eye for anyone loving freedom and justice.

As in her first book Kitty's story revolves around most of the same characters: Sasa the young Cherokee girl who is learning all she can to be able to be a blessing for her own people. Medicine Man, Poison Woman, Jackson, Anna Edwards and of course Wheezer himself. Along the way, the reader will get wrapped up in the lives of these people and learn about this part of history without having to think about it. New characters like Coyote and Yellow Eyes add to the story.  Their story comes to an exciting and satisfying conclusion within the historical context of the times.



This book is highly recommended. The research put into this book is clearly evident throughout and the story is well crafted. I look forward to the next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment